Friday, 20 January 2012

Outrageous Attitudes

The thirtieth president of the United States, Calvin Coolidge said, “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race” but, even with these tools in my armoury, I question my effectiveness when forced to deal with people who are,

·        dismissive
·        opinionated
·        irresponsible
·        sexist
·        self-interested
·        biased
And
       ·        full of contempt.

It continues to be a challenge to weigh up and then decide in what way I should respond.
When faced with "attitide" from both HBOS and Lloyds I wrote twenty two letters and made a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

When faced with "attitude" from the Financial Ombudsman’s adjudicator I responded with a fourteen page letter listing the unaddressed points in my original complaint, quoting the FOS guidelines that covered them and requested the escalation of my case to an Ombudsman.

And,
When it was my sixteen year old son who chose to exhibit the very same attitude towards me in outrage at being asked to help with the washing up, it was the withdrawal of Internet access and a phone call to Virgin to cut off his phone that were my weapons of choice.

If only the solution were as simple for the other culprits of compassionless contempt. Thankfully for me, life's trials have equipped me with a “black belt” in both persistence and determination on which to call........most days, and it is my understanding that, “in the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins. Not through strength, but through persistence.”

I live in hope.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment