Sunday, 26 June 2011

Unequal Opportunities

Having just read Ian Fraser’s blog of 25 June 2011 about my ongoing unpalatable predicament, I was astonished to discover the persecution I have suffered at the hands of HBOS over the last two and a half years has less to do with my husband having borrowed too much and a lot to do with the fact our £217,000 disputed shortfall is insufficient to qualify for forgiveness.  Having told me at least ten times they will never write off shortfalls it appears HBOS are more than happy to do exactly this, but only for a select few and only if your face fits.

One way one can qualify for debt forgiveness from HBOS is to borrow, like Sir David Murray of Murray International Holdings, 759 million.  In these circumstances, like Sir David, I may well have qualified for a shortfall write off 150 million when my husband’s property business took a nose dive due to the economic recession and the demise of his bank Heritable. I may also have been able to keep my home into the bargain.  Alternatively I could have secured debt forgiveness from HBOS if, instead of my children’s home being at risk, I was a struggling “buy to let” borrower in Ireland with a shortfall.  However, being a fifty three year old mother of three young children with a husband suffering from unresolved grief and depression, I am told it is out of the question. In fact it is regularly intimated by Merrils Ede solicitors that I am delusional to keep asking. For me the line from HBOS has always been to stop asking for a write off that they are never going to grant and, pay up.

I have spent the last three years overwrought with fear for my family’s future while continually being hounded and ridiculed by Lloyds, HBOS and their appointed debt collection henchwoman at Merrils Ede solicitors. They continue to harass us for money they know we simply do not have and yet now, thanks to Ian Fraser’s blog naming a few of the tycoons who have enjoyed substantial shortfall write offs, I have realized I am actually up against a well established two tier system of favoritism for the select few.

Sir David Murray said “The one thing you can’t buy at a time like this is experience” as he looked ahead with bullish confidence.  I beg to differ.  I suspect the one thing I couldn’t buy at the time was a face which would fit. Because of this, while Sir Murray looks to a future with HBOS’s help, I, with the help of my husband and three children, packed up our home into a friend’s horse box  when HBOS forced a sale on my house and left every chance of economic recovery for my family behind.

They say God has no favorites but it is clear HBOS most certainly does.  




No comments:

Post a Comment